Free Breastfeeding Support through WIC
In addition to providing free healthy foods, WIC also provides new mothers breastfeeding education and support—for as long as your child continues to breastfeed. Why is feeding important? It is the healthiest option for both mom and baby.
Benefits of breastfeeding
- Breast milk is the best food for babies
- Provides bonding time for you and your baby
- Produces antibodies specific to the baby’s needs that help keep your baby healthy and fight off illness
- Reduces your baby’s risk of asthma, obesity, ear infections, digestive problems, and diabetes
- Lowers the child’s risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
- Lowers the mother’s risk of diabetes, breast cancer, and ovarian cancer, and helps with losing weight gained during pregnancy
- Saves money: no need to buy formula and bottles, and fewer doctor visits because of illness
Learning to breastfeed
- Take a breastfeeding class before your baby is born
- Check that where you plan to deliver has the staff and setup to support successful breastfeeding
- Talk to your WIC nutrition specialist about your decision to breastfeed prior to delivery
- Breastfeed your baby as soon as possible after birth—the sucking instinct is very strong at this time
- Cuddle with your baby using skin-to-skin contact
- Make sure you and your baby are both comfortable and relaxed during breastfeeding
Remember, it can take some time for both mother and baby to learn how to get a good latch—your WIC lactation consultants are here to help.
WIC is passionate about supporting mothers in feeding their babies the best kind of food, breast milk. If you are experiencing difficulty or have questions about breastfeeding, your local WIC office offers information and free, personalized breastfeeding support.